Procrastinators Annoymous
Melissa, over at The Inspired Room is having a party, a Project Procrastinators Party! I have a lot of projects that I haven't finished. We have been in our house for one year now. I really thought that I would have painted by now, have some type of window treatments, pictures or some kind of artwork on the walls. Our house is bare. No color. No decorations. Just plain. I have been wanting to do something in the kitchen for the longest. It is the heart of the home and we DO spend most of our time together in there. There is a lot of brown in the kitchen. Brown cabinets. Brown on the floor. Brown kitchen table and chairs. When we first moved in, I fell in love with a beautiful black kitchen set. It was not in the budget. I daydreamed about painting the old set. Finally, in February, I decided that I would jump in......then the next weekend went by, then the next. You get the idea. I am a procrastinator. Very much indeed.
Here are the before photos.I did work on it some more this past weekend. I only have two chairs to be finished....Oh yeah, and the table top. The top is not wood, or should I say, there may be wood under the plastic-like stickerish thing that is covering it. Does anybody know how I should go about painting the top? Does anyone know what I'm even talking about? The table is about 20 years old, a hand me down from my in-laws. The rest of the table and chairs are solid wood. It is a sturdy set. On the sides of the table top the "sticker" is peeling away. I even thought about painting the top of the table with chalkboard paint! Let me know your thoughts!!! I may just end up putting a tablecloth on it and call it done! She is giving us two weeks to finish and post our "before and after" photos. I WILL BE DONE BY THEN! I will. I will. Check back on May 14th for the afters!!!!

4 comments:
I am not sure what would work on the top but chalkboard paint sounds like a great idea! I have been wanting to experiment with that too! Good luck!
I used to have the exact same table. I'm making a new table for my procrastinator's project though.
As for your table, snd it lightly with a fine grit sand paper thoroughly, then use a good primer. After it dries, paint it with a couple of layers, sanding lightly between coats. When you are finished painting, apply two coats of Helmspar (marine poly). Sand the last coat of paint lightly before polying it and sand before the second coat of poly.
If you have never used poly before, put it on generously and only use the brush in one direction. It will self level so don't fiddle with it too much, just lay it on fairly thick and let it do the work.
Come see me if ya have any more questions!
GOOD LUCK!
Oh my! I have sooooo many unfinished projects just like this...it's not even funny. ANd most of them involve LOTS of painting...thus the reason I'm procrastinating. Good luck on yours. I just couldn't make the committment for Melissa's party. Maybe next time.
~Amanda
Can't wait to see your "after" pics later this week!
Post a Comment